Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's Stuff Like This, Man....



So, I am reading through my usual line-up of political blogs when I come across this gem. By "gem" I mean disgusting dingelberry of rancid right wing racism. I knew that people were going to get racial about Barack Obama's candidacy, but I am still taken aback by the sheer volume of it. Whether it's Fox news using the term "baby's mama" to describe Michelle Obama or calling the fist pound between Michelle and Barack a "terrorist fist jab", the who thing is just getting more ridiculous by the day.

Now, when I first heard read the story linked above, I had a fantasy about posting a profanity-laden screed about the racism of the right. But, after taking some time and reading that the Texas GOP itself was not sell this button, but rather a vendor at the state convention, I began to cool off a little bit. I am still mad, but more of a simmering volcano mad versus the exploding volcano I was earlier.

More than anything, stuff like this just makes me sad. There is such an ugly spirit of racism that still exists in this country. Sen. Obama's candidacy is almost having the effect of an exorcism on this country. If you ever saw the movie The Exorcist, you know that the harder the priest fought against the demon possessing the little girl, the more visible and unchained the demon inside the girl became. In the same vane, I sense that the closer we get to November, the more unfiltered the hate will become. The question then is two-fold: Just how ugly will things get (Re: Attempted assasination ugly?) and is America ready to undergo an exorcism of the demonic forces that are at the root of its original sin?

No comments: