Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Wonder What They're Like Up Close...

Today I filled out an application to volunteer for the Republican National Convention that will be held in Saint Paul this coming September. Mind you, though I generally try to be "post-partisan" when it comes to politics, most people who know me would probably peg as more liberal than conservative. So needless to say, it was not necessarily with a sense of glee and unbridled anticipation that I have decided to volunteer. Why then did I do it?

  1. I take pride in my adopted home of Minneapolis/St. Paul and this an opportunity to show it off to people across the country.
  2. It's a once in a life time event. It's not everyday a big political convention is held where you happen to live.
  3. I figure it'll be good for the Republicans to see a black person helping out with their big show even if I have scant evidence indicating that Republicans trip over themselves to help out with the NAACP National Convention, the Urban League National Convention, or the State of the Black Union. I wonder if they'll think I am the next J.C. Watts....
  4. Sheer (morbid?) curiosity.
  5. I want to think to myself, "Barack Obama drinks your milkshake!" as I reflect on the glorious events of June 3rd.

Honestly, though, if I am to be a reconciler, I figure I must be willing to move into spaces where there may be people who disagree with me. I think this will be a great way to humbly serve my city and my friends across the aisle. Political reconciliation begins with us, THE PEOPLE!

Will I propbably have to hold my tongue a great deal? More than I even care to think about!

Will I lean a lot? Yeah

Will I blog about what is sure to be one of the most challenging reconciliation experiences of my life? Oh yeah

Want to join me on this twisted adventure. Click Here.

Also, post your thoughts on this or other blog entries in the comments section!

2 comments:

katie said...

This is a very good idea. I think progress will only come when we try to listen to both sides. Also I think you're very funny.

John Quant said...

Noel,

That's awesome, and hilarious. As for "I wonder what they're like up close..." I believe I had more than one hug from you back during my more partisan days (Spring '04 I was working for some MN GOP state senators). I hope all is well. Great blog, and good luck. -JohnQ